The European Union condemned the terror attack that took place on Thursday evening in the city of Elad, in central Israel, during Independence Day celebrations. At least 3 civilians were murdered and many more injured.
‘’Our thoughts are with the victims and their families. We wish a speedy recovery to those injured. The EU stands with Israel and its people at this difficult time,’’ an EU foreign affairs spokesperson stated.
He added : ‘’ This violence must stop. The European Union remains firmly committed to the prevention and fight against terrorism.’’
The three victims of the terror attack were named early Friday as Yonatan Havakuk, Boaz Gol and Oren Ben Yiftah, all young fathers who between them leave behind 16 children.
Blinken : ‘We stand firmly with them in face of this attack’
The Biden administration condemned the terrorist attack in Elad.
U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said in a news release that the horrific attack on innocent men and women was particularly heinous coming as Israel celebrated Yom Ha’aztmaut—Independence Day.
“Our hearts are with the victims and loved ones of those killed, and we wish those injured a speedy recovery,” he said. “We remain in close contact with our Israeli friends and partners and stand firmly with them in the face of this attack. May the memory of those who passed be a blessing.”
Earlier that day, U.S. State Department spokesman Ned Price said that he saw the news of the attack just as he was walking into the daily State Department briefing.
“If these reports are accurate, and there is certainly no reason to doubt them, it would be the latest in what has been a string of despicable terrorist attacks that have rocked Israel in recent weeks,” he stated. “We saw them in advance of this holy period—the confluence of Easter of Passover of Ramadan. We saw them in advance of the Negev Summit, and if this is what it appears to be, it is something that we would condemn in the strongest terms.
“Our commitment to our Israeli partners, Israel’s security, is ironclad,” said Price, “and we’ll provide any and all assistance that may be required in this case.”
Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett held a security consultation together with the Defense Minister, the Foreign Minister, the Public Security Minister, the Israel Police Inspector General, the ISA Director, the Mossad Director and other senior officials.
The chain of events of the terrorist attack that took place in Elad was presented, as were the efforts currently underway to locate the terrorists, Bennet’s office said.
In addition, it was decided to continue the operational activities of the Israel Police, the Israel Defense Forces and the ISA in the coming hours and days.
“Our enemies have embarked on a murderous campaign against Jews wherever they are. Their goal is to break our spirit but they will fail. We will get our hands on the terrorists and those who aid and abet them, and ensure they pay the price. I offer my deepest condolences to the families of those who were murdered,” said Bennett.