Thursday, 24 Sep 2020 - 6 of Tishri, 5781

British Interior Minister denounces antisemitic posts by rapper Wiley

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Campaign Against Antisemitism and the Community Security Trust, as well as other groups, said they are walking out from Twitter and Instagram for 48 hours on Monday and Tuesday after the social networks refused to close Wiley’s social media accounts over his incitement against Jews.

British Interior Minister Priti Patel has denounced anti-Semitic posts by British rapper Richard Kylea Cowie Jr., aka Wiley, saying they “should not have been able to remain on Twitter and Instagram for so long.’’ The minister has asked the two spcial media platforms ‘’for a full explanation.’’

‘’Social media companies must act much faster to remove such appalling hatred from their platforms,” she said.

The British rapper tweeted on July 24 that Jews “make me sick” after he was accused of posting anti-Semitic tweets earlier in the day.

Among the tweets he is under fire for is one stating that there are “2 sets of people who nobody has really wanted to challenge #Jewish & #KKK [Ku Klux Klan] but being in business for 20 years you start to understand why.” He also asked if it’s anti-Semitic “to say Jewish people have power” and asserted that “Israel is not your country.”

Wiley also tweeted, “Jewish people you make me sick and I will not budge hold this corn.”

The Community Security Trust (CST), a charity group monitoring antisemitism in the U.K., criticised the platform for allowing the tirade to continue unchecked for several hours, calling for tougher regulations.

It has, along with others including the Campaign Against Antisemitism (CAA), reported the incident to the London Police, who have since said they are investigating the rapper.

CAA as well as the CST and other groups said they are walking out from Twitter and Instagram for 48 hours on Monday and Tuesday after the social networks refused to close Wiley’s social media accounts over his incitement against Jews.

A raft of celebrities, ministers and commentators are standing behind the walkout, with #NoSafeSpaceForJewHate a major trending hashtag on Twitter.

On Friday, Campaign Against Antisemitism called for the prosecution of Wiley, the revocation of his Order of the British Empire (MBE) and the closure of his social media accounts by Twitter and Facebook, which owns Instagram. Wiley has already been dropped by his management.

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply