‘’I fully condemn the indiscriminate attacks against civilians and support Israel’s right to protect and defend its population,’ says Antonio López-Istúriz
BRUSSELS—The Chairman of the EU-Israel delegation in the European Parliament, Antonio López-Istúriz, condemned ‘’indiscriminate attacks against civilians,’’ after more than 200 rockets were fired from Gaza into Israel since Tuesday morning.
“Today, rockets were fired once more at Israel, from Gaza, targeting civilians. These are inadmissible actions, which should cease immediately,’’ he said in a statement.
He added, ‘’I fully condemn the indiscriminate attacks against civilians and support Israel’s right to protect and defend its population. Immediate de-escalation is needed, for the benefit of Israeli and Palestinian civilians. I add my voice to underlining, once again, the importance of a political solution.”
Earlier on Tuesday, the European Union stated that the firing of rockets on civilian populations ‘’is totally unacceptable and must immediately stop.’’
The barrage of rockets from Gaza that hit southern and central Israel came after the Israeli army killed Baha Abu al-Ata, a top commander of the terrorist organisation Islamic Jihad in a targeted air strike. al-Ata was responsible for most of the terror attacks from Gaza against Israel in the last year.
The Israeli foreign ministry, in a tweet, expressed its ‘appreciation for the international condemnations of the intentional and unacceptable targeting of Israeli civilians by the Islamic Jihad.’’
The IDF Iron Dome System intercepted dozens of the rockets. The MDA (Magen David Adom, Israel’s Red Cross) said it treated 39 people who were lightly wounded.